The Real “American Gangsters”: Nicky Barnes speaks on Cam’ron, Frank Lucas is proud of Diddy

Article spotted at MissInfo.tv

[NOTE: before I help perpetuate the exciting aura of these two druglords, I recognize that they were both some basically despicable beings, who used violence and crime to make fortunes, and who were responsible for murders. So, while, I think their stories make for great movies/music, I need to remind myself that, unlike Hov’s new album, and Denzel’s new flick….these guys were real. Real f’ed up. Which is also why I get a little weirded out by ad libs like “Luk-ee Ba-bee!” But whatever]

There’s a very interesting story in NY Magazine this week, they managed to get Frank Lucas and Nicky Barnes on the phone together.
Turns out, when Cam’ron talked to 60 Minutes about snitching…guess who was watching? Nicky Barnes!!

Nicky says:

“I testified against the guys who were in the Council along with me… Guy Fisher, Frank James, Wally, Coco, Kenny… When I went into the joint, I gave Guy Fisher a woman of mine and told him to look out for her, take care of her. I didn’t expect him to start fucking her.”

But Nicky then says:

When I realized they left me on the battlefield to die, I said, “Fuck it!” … I said, “I’ll pull those motherfuckers in, let them see what it’s like.”… I don’t regret it. I saw this show on CNN, with Anderson Cooper. Cats were talking about “Don’t snitch, no matter what happens.” Well, I can’t see how a guy can be considered strong if he lets a bunch of assholes walk all over him and he doesn’t respond, just because of some code that a bunch of idiots have cooked up. Anderson Cooper asked this rapper, “Suppose a child was molested and you knew who this molester was. Would you tell the police?” He said, “No.” So that’s what I’m sayin’—the street guidelines are just moron bullshit."

Just imagine this cold-blooded druglord sitting in his manufactured witness-protection haven, watching Cam on tv. That’s so crazy to me!

Another head crack comes when the writer asks how they feel about being idolized in hip hop songs…

Frank Lucas says:

“Call them songs? When I came along, we had singing. They might make up songs about me, but I don’t have to like them…I don’t know none of them. I know Puffy Combs, because of his father. (Nicky Barnes: “Oh, Melvin! Melvin Combs.”) Melvin used to be at my house a couple of times a week. I’m proud to see Melvin’s son like that.”

What a small world?!?
The whole interview is fascinating, and even though I think they’re proud of their mythology, especially the two movies about their lives, Frank Lucas and Nicky Barnes are smart enough to at least appear sorry…

Nicky Barnes:
“No one should be elevated because of what they did in the drug business. The way we operated—there was a lot of violence, like, ten to twelve homicides, to keep the whole operation running. You can’t glorify that. It’s not something Frank or I would tell any of our children to get into.”
Frank Lucas: “Absolutely right, Nick.”

0 comments: