MORE THAN JUST A PRETTY FACE

What was your childhood like?
Crystle Stewart: I grew up in Missouri City and had the perfect childhood. My mother was a teacher and, in the summers, she would take us to the beach. I lived a pretty sheltered life. I went to church every Sunday and Wednesday. I loved school, loved church, life and my family.

What sets you apart from being "just another pretty face?"
CS: Goals. I set them and work hard to achieve them. A lot of people have goals, but don't think they can achieve them. That's how I was. Now, I set my mind to it and it's simply preparation meeting opportunity to achieve success. At the Miss USA Pageant, there are 51 beautiful girls on the stage and I have to set myself apart from them. I have to have depth by speaking and helping others. I'm not saying that they don't do that, but I have to use that to make myself stand out.

How has this experience changed your life?
CS: I am more in the public eye, so I have to be very conscious of what I am saying and doing. I got a letter from a young girl who told me I am her role model and she looks at everything I do. I cried. She said she watches me and I inspire her to be all she can be. It motivates me to do my best. When I am tired and don't feel like going on, I look at the letter and read it again. I had a hard time gaining weight and I was so stressed and so busy that I actually lost more weight. I can't do that because I am a role model.



As a young black woman, do you feel more pressure in pageantry?
CS: At first, I was blaming losing on being African-American. But really, I knew blaming it on my race was all in my head. I know it wasn't really that way. But still, it made me want to work harder. I turned things around in my head to where being African- American made me stand out even more and that it would help me.

Is there any added pressure representing a state as proud as Texas?
CS: Definitely. Starting in 1990, I think, Miss Texas won the Miss USA pageant for five years straight. Usually, people are looking for Miss Texas when she arrives. [Texas has] the biggest [state] pageant, the biggest prizes, and great sponsors and support... I'm a big woman with a lot of love. It's all about how you handle it.

How can a regular person relate to Miss Texas/ Miss USA?

CS: I'm a regular person. I make mistakes. I am not perfect and can talk about it. I have weight problems that are the opposite of many others. I can't keep weight on and it's a problem. If I mess up on something, I can laugh about it. I'm not some glamour girl who walks on stage and wins every pageant. It took me five years to win. I work hard just like everyone else in life.

Source

0 comments: